Date and time:
Start: June 11, 2019, 9:00 AM EST
End: June 11, 2019, 4:30 PM EST
150 Elgin Street
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 1L4
This program is eligible for 5 substantive hours required by the Law Society of Ontario.
On December 11, 2018, the House of Commons Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics (ETHI) released its final report “Democracy Under Threat: Risks and Solutions in the Era of Disinformation and Data Monopoly”. The Report calls for increased regulation on the Internet.
Dentons and the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ), an international organization created 60 years ago to assert the rule of law as a matter of democracy, invite you to a complimentary all-day conference that will address the specific challenges and solutions that arise in this context.
Topics will include:
- Legal disruption: Impact of digital on the existing regulatory framework
- From lock and key to encryption – Applying privacy law on digital
- Can data monopolies exist within privacy and competition law?
- The particular case of e-commerce
- Are Internet giants the guardians of democracy on the Internet?
- Kevin Chan, Global Director and Head of Public Policy Canada – Facebook
- Anthony Durocher, Deputy Commissioner – Competition Bureau Monopolistic Practices Directorate
- Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, Member of Parliament for Beaches –East York, Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics (ETHI)
- Joe Frasca, General Counsel – Shopify
- Jacob Glick, General Counsel – North
- Tamir Israel, Staff Lawyer – Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC)
- Janet Lo, VP of Privacy & Consumer Legal Affairs – TekSavvy Solutions
- Brenda McPhail, Director of Privacy, Technology & Surveillance Project – Canadian Civil Liberties Association
- Errol Mendes, Professor, University of Ottawa and President, International Commission of Jurists (Canadian Section)
- Vivek Narayanadas, Associate General Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection Officer – Shopify
- Marina Pavlovic, Associate Professor – University of Ottawa
- Mark Schaan, Director General, Marketplace Framework Policy Branch – Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) / Government of Canada
- Chantal Bernier, Of Counsel and National Practice Leader, Privacy and Cybersecurity– Dentons Canada LLP
- Monica Song, Partner – Dentons Canada LLP
Click here to view a more detailed agenda.
Please contact Carla Vasquez, Events Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 416 361 2377.
Dentons Canada LLP is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Please contact us at email@example.com in advance of the event if you have any particular accommodation requirements. We will work with you to make appropriate arrangements.